- The average heart transplant cost in India spans between USD 45000 to 60000.
- A heart transplant is a life-giving procedure done when the heart completely fails to propagate its functions.
- Around 88% of heart transplant patients survive the first year post-surgery, while the 5-year survival rate is 75% and 56% for 10 year survival.
- Heart failure is considered only when all the possible treatments, such as medications, surgeries, lifestyle have failed.
- The waiting time for the surgery, close to around 4 weeks to 2 months depending upon the availability of the matched donor.
- Pre-transplant procedures include Blood and Urine test, Chest X-ray, Cardiopulmonary Stress Test, EKG, Echocardiogram, Carotid Doppler Studies, Pulmonary Function Testing, etc and some other diagnostic tests. Women may need gynecology evaluation, a Pap test, and a mammogram.
Everything you need to know about Heart Transplant Surgery in India
- A heart transplant is a surgical procedure to replace an unhealthy heart with a healthy one from a deceased donor.
- The surgery emphasizes treating the most serious cases related to the heart such as end-stage. End-stage means the condition is severe and lifestyle changes, medications, other procedures are not making any significant health improvement.
- Since it is a crucial surgery, it requires specific criteria to be fulfilled before you actually go for the surgery. First of all, the donors are in short supply, the patients undergoing surgery need a special selection process. They must be sick enough to ask for a heart transplant in India yet possess a healthy immune system to capacitate the new organ. Mostly, donors for heart transplants are individuals who are no more alive or brain dead. A brain dead is a person who is forcefully kept alive on a ventilator but the brain signals no life.
- India being a major hub for health modalities across the globe, heart transplant in India has a success rate closer to 80-90%. All you need is to ensure proper medications, lifestyle changes, and follow-up care to get better. Post-treatment, you can initialize your normal life after following up on care and certain precautions.
- But before going for transplant surgery, always seek doctor advice about the cost of heart transplant in India.
Reasons you may need a heart transplant
Heart transplants are brought off when other treatments have failed to show any effective results. In adolescents, it can be caused by:
- Coronary artery disease
- Congenital heart problem (you are born with a defect in your heart)
- Weakened heart muscle, which is also called cardiomyopathy
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Failure of the previously done heart transplant
While in adults, it is mostly triggered by either weakened heart muscle or birth defect.
Multiorgan transplant is done at the same time in individuals with severe medical conditions. Multi-organ transplants include heart and kidney transplant, heart and lung transplant, heart and liver transplant, etc.
Heart Transplant In India
Starting USD 45,000
( Indian Rupees Approx. 31,50,000 )
No. of Travellers
Days in Hospital
Days Outside Hospital
Total days in India
What to expect before a heart transplant
- Before the treatment, patients are added to the awaited list for a donor’s heart. Since the numbers of available hearts are very limited, the selection process is done to assure the organ is distributed fairly. Organs are matched for a specific blood type and size of the donor and the recipient’s body.
What to expect during a heart transplant
- Just before the heart transplant in India, you will get anaesthesia to make you unconscious and put you to sleep. Surgeons do a heart-transplant surgery using open-heart surgery. Initially, small incisions of size 3 to 4 inches are done in the chest to open the rib cage.
- While the heart is temporarily made to stop, surgeons use a heart-lung machine to keep the blood and oxygen flowing through your lungs and body during the surgery. Once the transplantation process completes, the surgeon removes the patient’s damaged heart and substitutes the healthy donor heart into the site.
- The main artery called the aorta, and pulmonary arteries are not replaced, while the major vessels are attached to the replaced heart. The substituted heart starts beating as soon as blood flow is restored. In case, the blood flow is obstructed, an electric show is given to make the new heartbeat adequately.
- To add, medications are given to help cope with the pain after surgery. You may be kept on a ventilator to help breathe, and tubes are inserted into the chest to excrete fluids from the lung and the heart. For the time being, you will be given medications through intravenous tubes.
What to expect after a heart transplant
- For a couple of days, you will be kept in the intensive care unit then move to a general ward or room. It is a crucial surgery, and you are likely to stay therein until you can move or get up on your own. The time spent in the hospital depends on person to person, and so does the cost of a heart transplant in India.
- After being discharged from the hospital, you are to stay at your outpatient transplant centre for monitoring your health status. Due to the intensity of the surgery, patients prefer to stay at a nearby location to the hospital for the first three months. Get yourself the comfortable care at MedSurge. After three months, once your healthcare advice, you can move back to your home. But immunosuppressants, therapies, uh diet, and care plans are meant to be taken for the whole life.
- Post-surgical diagnostic tests include biopsy to monitor how the new heart is functioning. You will also be diagnosed with signs such as fever, fatigue, infection, weight gain, swelling in the body, shortness of breath, etc. If you have any sign, let your team know so that they can check for rejection symptoms.
What are the risks of heart transplant surgery?
Heart transplant surgery is a life-adding procedure, but it also has some risks linked to it. Careful monitoring, treatment, and regular medical check-ups can help avoid some of these risks:
- Failure of the surgery
- Complications from immunosuppressants
- Problems with maintaining such a sedentary lifestyle
Factors Affecting Heart Transplant Surgery Cost in India
The following factors will influence your cost of a heart transplant in India:
- Hospital and room cost
- Skills and experience of the surgeon
- Fees of the healthcare team including Doctors, Surgeons, Anesthesiologist, physiotherapists, special nurses, dieticians, etc.
- Diagnostic tests cost
- Cost of medications
- Hospital stay
- Outpatient care facility
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are the signs you need a heart transplant?
Ans: The possible warning signs you may need a heart transplant include:
- Fever or chill
- Redness /swelling/bleeding
- Increased pain around the incision
- Difficulty in breathing
Q: How do you know if you need a heart transplant?
Ans: A heart transplant is a procedure to consider if you had heart failure that made it hard for the heart to pump the blood around the body. This could be perhaps due to congenital disorders, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy, despite surgeries or medications.
Q: How are donors matched to a recipient?
Ans: People who are critically ill are approved for a heart transplant and placed on a waiting list. The United Network of Organ Sharing manages the list of heart organs and donor lists. Based on the size of the body and weight, body, and blood type, the patients are donated with an organ.
Q: What are the risks associated with the surgery?
Ans: Replacing a heart with a new one requires critical monitoring by the patients. Not every time the patient’s body accepts the new organ. However, in countries like India, where we have achieved world-class medical interventions, a survival rate close to 80-90% is achievable.
Q: For how long the surgery goes on?
Ans: It usually takes around 5 to 6 hours for the surgery to be completed.
Q: Can we avoid the risk of heart failure?
Ans: Yes, our lifestyle has a lot to do with our body functioning. Diet also plays a crucial role in the prevention of heart failure. Just in case, avoid smoking, cigarette consumption, take less sugar and salt, cut down unhealthy fat, regulate your blood pressure and blood sugar level.
Top Doctors for Heart Transplant In India
Top Hospitals for Heart Transplant In India